Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sweet Treats and Other Goodies at the Bluegrass Barkery

I've known about the Bluegrass Barkery, a bakery for dogs located in our hometown of Lexington, for quite a while now, but never had reason to visit without a dog. I thought entering the dog lover's little treasure would be like entering a salon without hair or hanging out at a repair shop without a car. I often drove by the barkery's signature sign, always releasing a pitiful sigh, kind of like the kid who wants to be on the cheerleading squad but can't afford the uniform.

Admittedly, I would have jumped at the opportunity to venture to the Barkery while renting someone else's dog. Or, I may have had no problem wandering in the quaint little house on Clay Avenue without a pup in tow, but that would have solidified my status as "Crazy Dog Lady Without a Dog." I would have felt a little like a phony, living vicariously through other dog owners (AND LOVED IT). But nobody wants to be that person. Fortunately, I am now just "Crazy Dog Lady," as I am more recently reminded countless times by my boyfriend. Baby, you WRITE A BLOG ABOUT YOUR DOG. Nuf said. Hence, we had our ticket to the barkery.

Before I continue, after having visited this delightful little piece of Heaven, I must tell you my preconceived notion that non-owners are not allowed in the barkery is bogus. Come one, come all, dog or no dog. One rule is posted at the door: CATS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.

I brushed Linus' coat and wiped off his face before we went -- we wanted to make our debut in high style. I also tied his UK bandanna around his neck as it was UK game day. Shawn rolled his eyes, pleading with me that Linus doesn't like wearing stuff. I beg to differ, but that's another blog for another day.

When we parked in front of the little house nestled in Chevy Chase, Linus' over-sized ears perked up. We set him down on the sidewalk and he darted to up the porch and to the door, aware that this was a momentous occasion. We walked into a foyer loaded with goodies, for mommy and pup, that were for only the pampered of pooches and their loving owners. Items varied from plush beds in cool prints that I would have gladly slept in if I were small enough to a smorgasbord or nutritious treats. We looked in the glass display, identical to what you would find in a human bakery, to see iced cookies and cake. The "baked" items were especially delightful to me as I am conscious of the health for both me and my dog and strive to shop locally and cook healthfully whenever possible. The store specializes in products that are all-natural, free of unhealthy preservatives and chemicals. Needless to say, I was in love.

Barkery employee Jodie was so generous to little Linus and adoringly followed him around the store as he investigated toys, treats and new friends, including a little girl wearing a purple cap. Jodie treated Linus to an extensive home-baked goods sampling, requesting him to sit for each treat but instead got an anxious Linus jig. The little bone-shaped biscuit flavors included Pumpkin Pie, Beef Stew and Hot Brown. While Linus was chowing down, I asked Jodie if she saw the French Bulldog compete in the Westminster.

"Yes," she said. "But I think yours is definitely cuter."

I'm liking Jodie and this barkery more and more every moment. But, unfortunately, Shawn told us it was time to wrap things up... game time! I bought Linus some natural wool toys, a cranberry and clove bone to freshen his breath and an assortment of the sampled treats. There are many more things I need to discover at the barkery, I feel like I haven't scratched the surface. Jodie, who owns two Basset Hounds (love 'em, we must meet) advised that we visit on Saturday morning around 11 a.m. We'll be there, and, of course, you'll hear about it!

Visit the Barkery Web site: www.bluegrassbarkery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog