Monday, July 19, 2010

The Firebrook FireSmush

Below the hurried footsteps of kids in brightly colored swimsuits and rubber swim caps, Linus romped across the damp grass of Pinnacle swimming pool grounds Saturday afternoon. As a mini-mascot, he sported a red 'F' painted on his back. No, the 'F' didn't stand for Frenchie. Linus was joining me as an avid fan of the Firebrook Firefish.

Since moving home this summer, I've rekindled my connection to the neighborhood where I grew up. Sixteen years ago, I was nine years old and competing for the first time ever with the developing Firefish swim team. I was just like these kids on Saturday, nervously awaiting my heat to be called as I munched on healthy treats in the refuge of a giant team tent. Stretching, playing and painting the bare legs of my friends with our team colors. Watching these kids Saturday made me miss being a kid.

My brother is the last Troutman standing with the Firebrook swim team. It's his second year as the head swim coach, and likely the last year he'll be involved. Just as he has done since he was a mere five years old, he shaved his head for the championship meet, one last time. Below, Linus shares in the excitement of the summer swim conference with his Uncle Noah and some of the swim team kids. See how the "FireSmush" and Noah are both sporting the 'F' (in their own special ways)?



Go Firefish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog