Thursday, March 18, 2010

The unfathomable wolf origins of my Linus

The attached link is a story I heard on NPR News on my way to work this morning. As a dog lover, and moreover a breed lover, I obviously think the classification systems of breeds and the varieties of dogs we have domesticated is a brilliant development, otherwise I would not have found the dog that fits my personality and lifestyle so well. That being said, I am definitely an advocate for rescuing dogs, whether they are stray mutts, abandoned breed dogs or puppies born on the side of the road. I hope to have a yard large enough to keep several rescued buddies some day, but right now it's Linus who reigns in my one-bedroom apartment.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124768140

It's hard to believe little Linus is descended from a wolf. His legs are only inches high, his muzzle is so flat he has trouble drinking without getting his entire face wet and there's not so much as a hint of a tail on his rear end. As far the sleek and regal silver animal we see rushing through the woods movies such as White Fang - that animal, Linus is not. Though he's a spritely little guy who can book it when he's going after his blue ball, he more resembles a white bowling ball barrelling through my living room than a swift resident of the wilderness. The one thing he obviously kept from his wolf ancestors was his giant and ill-fitting ears.


So, without getting into too much thinking about thousands of years of evolution and creepy breeding strategies, I am still baffled at how the Frenchie breed, as well as other odd breeds (Dachshund, bull terriers, Chihuahua's come to mind) came to be. How did the wolf turn into a compact little creature with a flat face, short coat and stocky build? What's even more interesting is that people have come to a point where they can classify dogs not only by their physical attributes, but by their temperments. My Frenchie behaves just as many breed sites described him, "clown-like," playful, "craves attention," a "natural performer." He's good with kids, rarely aggressive, but stubborn as they come when it comes to discipline. He doesn't need a huge yard or hours of exercise (thank God!). He's a great fit, and I knew it before I even met him.

But I suppose our tempermental and physical classification of animals can be applied to all species in the world, whether domesticated or not. For instance, a Great White Shark is a loathesome predator, but his relative the Whale Shark is a passive swimming buddy for many divers. I wouldn't dare mess with a Bobcat, but my Dad's Maine Coon is not so bad to snuggle with (when my allergies don't flare!). God's creatures were obviously meant to be diverse and beautiful, and that includes our beloved canines.

But there's really only one classification that really needs to be tagged to my Linus: my lovebug, my muffin, my sweetie... you get the picture. Because regardless of where he came from - wolf, slug, bear, alien space ship (my brother is convinced) - he's a source of comfort and happiness to me. And in my opinion, no matter what breed you are talking about, the species's very unique ability to bring so many humans such joy makes them very special. And whatever version of the domesticated wolf you prefer, Doberman, English bulldog, Great Dane, Lab, Corgi, Cocker Spaniel or a mix, all unique breeds (and non-breeds) are deserving of a place in someone's life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog